- Company: Commission on Administrative Justice
- Location: Kenya
- State: Nairobi
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: NGO Jobs in Kenya
The Commission on Administrative Justice, more commonly known as (Office of the Ombudsman), is a constitutional commission established under Article 59(4) of the Constitution, and the Commission on Administrative Justice Act, 2011. The mandate of the Office of the Ombudsman is two-fold and extends to both national and county governments. Firstly, the Commission has the mandate of tackling maladministration (improper administration) in the public sector.
In this regard, the Commission is empowered to, among other things, investigate complaints of delay, abuse of power, unfair treatment, manifest injustice or discourtesy. Secondly, the Commission has the mandate of overseeing and enforcing the implementation of the Access to Information Act, 2016.
Reporting To: Commission Secretary / CEO
Directorate: Strategy, Research and Compliance
Unit / Department: Strategy, Research and Compliance
Job Grade: CAJ 2
No. of Posts: 1
Terms of Employment: 4 Year Contract
Job Description: The Director, Strategy, Research and Compliance will be responsible for developing and implementing the Commissions’ strategy, providing leadership in conducting research on matters Fair Administration and Access to Information, monitoring compliance of public agencies with the Commission’s mandate and providing a framework for monitoring the Commission’s compliance with other legal and statutory obligations.
Specific duties and responsibilities will entail: –
(i) Coordinate the development, monitoring and evaluation of policies, procedures, systems and programmes of the Commission;
(ii) Coordinate the development and implementation of the Commission’s strategic plan and performance contracting obligations;
(iii) Oversee the development and implementation of best practices, policies, procedures and systems for research on matters of administrative justice and access to information;
(iv) Carry out research on cases relating to administrative justice and access to information;
(v) Undertake research on systemic issues and recommending remedial measures and proactive action;
(vi) Develop and implement a monitoring and evaluation framework for reporting on compliance with the Commission’s strategic plan, annual work plans, budget and other statutory obligations
(vii) Coordinate preparation of statutory reports for the Commission and ensure timely submission of the reports as per the legally provided time frames
(viii) Establish a modern Resource Centre that is a one stop shop for information on fair administration, access to information and other related issues on governance.
(ix) Monitor and evaluate the status of the various complaints on maladministration and access to information;
(x) Supervise staff in the department and promote a performance oriented culture
(xi) Coordinate all the planning activities of the Commission.
(xii) Any Other Duties as may be assigned from time to time.
For appointment to this grade, a candidate must: –
- Have relevant experience of ten (10) years in a managerial position
- Have Bachelors degree in any of the following fields: Economics, Mathematics & Computers, Statistics, Commerce or any other equivalent qualification from a recognized institution;
- Have Masters degree in any of the following fields: Economics, Mathematics & Computers, Statistics, Commerce, Strategic Management or any other equivalent qualification from a recognized institution;
- Have a certificate in Governance and/or Strategic Leadership/Management from a recognized institution;
- Be a member of professional body where applicable and in good standing;
- Be proficient in computer application skills;
- Have demonstrated high professional competence and managerial capability;
- Have good leadership, organisational, interpersonal relations and people management skills;
- Have thorough understanding of national goals, policies and ability to relate them to strategy, research and compliance; and
- Meet the requirements of Chapter six (6) of the Constitution on Leadership and Integrity.
Method of Application
The Applications should be addressed to:
The Commission Secretary Commission on Administrative Justice 2nd Floor,
Westend Towers – Waiyaki Way
P.O Box 20414
City Square 00200 Nairobi Clearance / Compliance Certificates
Successful candidates will be required to provide copies of clearance or compliance certificates from:
- Kenya Revenue Authority
- Ethics & Anti-Corruption Commission
- Directorate of Criminal Investigations (CID)
- A credit reference bureau
- Higher Education Loans Board
The Closing date is on 23rd June 2020 at 4.30pm Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. The Commission on Administrative Justice is an Equal Opportunity employer.