- Company: Islamic Relief
- Location: Kenya
- State: Nairobi
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Sales/Marketing Jobs in Kenya
Islamic Relief Worldwide is an international humanitarian organisation that provides development programs and humanitarian relief around the globe, regardless of race, political affiliation, gender or belief.
Reporting To: Project Manager
Staff Reporting: None
Base Location: Garissa
The Marketing officer is responsible for implementation of programme activities especially in the component related to market system component of the program.
The Marketing Officer will support the leadership with mapping market system structures, actors and their linkages in order to provide insight into the incentives, constraints and opportunities that restrict or enable market systems to serve vulnerable households and individuals in particular the women and youth.
- Programme strategy and Planning (10%)
- Carry out assessment in the target geographical areas to assess the current situation economic opportunities and resources, needs and potential intervention as well as obstacles that could be mitigated to promote productive employment, improved livelihood and resilience for rural women.
- Explore, evaluate and present market opportunities and recommend program priorities that promote resilience and livelihood for the rural women.
- Participate in sector project concept and proposal development based on the identified needs.
- Programme Implementation & Management (70%)
- Research and analyses market trends, competitor offerings, demographics, and other information that affects marketing strategies
- Use research findings and analysis to provide direction to IR-K and the BRICK Project team regarding upcoming marketing projects, new products or services, and overall strategy
- Identify areas for improvement in product offerings, sales tactics, marketing strategy, and promotional activities
- Design or approve all marketing campaigns and plans before they are implemented
- Maintain the department’s budget and ensures all marketing activities are cost-effective
- Work with other IRK staff to establish budgets and marketing objectives
- Monitor marketing and sales performance of the target beneficiaries and adjusts strategies as needed.
- Take part in the design, planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the BRICK project.
- Link and coordinate with other relevant programs to harmonize project implementation i.e. WASH, livelihood, Livestock production and DRR programs within BRICK.
- Facilitate and coordinate for organizing the trainings related to the topics on marketing and production at community level.
- Ensure that staffs have marketing capacity to implement their project/program to ensure the overall success of the project goals.
- Support the farmers groups, beekeepers groups, IGA groups, water user associations and the livestock production beneficiaries at the local level in developing and implementing systems for marketing and project evaluation.
- Liaise with Ministry of trade and industrialization and the department of trade at the Sub County level during project mobilization, implementation and reporting.
- Capacity building of the various beneficiary groups and facilitate their participation in the technical working groups in the sub-county and county.
- Support groups initiate micro business ventures in target areas and promote savings and credit schemes among the women groups and business training.
- Link women groups to financial institutions to access credit facilities for business initiation and expansion of businesses.
- Take lead in the preparation of quality proposals and concept notes to meet the donor requirements.
- Identify opportunities for the Islamic Relief Kenya programs to develop its portfolio and funding base.
- To ensure all the marketing components of the project are implemented in a consultative, participatory, conflict sensitive and gender sensitive way (Quality assurance).
- Periodically undertake other assignments from the management.
- Programme strategy and Planning (10%)
- Monitoring, Documentation, Communications and reporting (10%)
- Ensure that at all time the project target achievement is in line with the planned log frame milestones and the budget burn rate are up to date with the planned cash flow.
- Work with the communication staff to design appropriate mobilization and sensitization messages for the target population in line with project objectives
- Document community and stakeholders’ feedback and share with relevant stakeholders for appropriate action.
- Ensure timely submission of timely project reports as per IR and Donor requirements.
- Conduct timely documentation of project progress through case studies, stories, photos, videos, among others.
- Regular monitoring and evaluation of project implementation at local level.
- Prepare and submit timely monthly, quarterly, annually narrative and financial reports.
- Preparation of technical reports for donors.
- Ensure project right holders are conversant with IRK microfinance policies and procedures
- Compliance with the requirements of the IRK’s micro finance policies.
- Coordination and Networking (10%)
- Engage the right holders and duty bearers in advocacy and linkage forums to ensure better service delivery by duty bearers and access to relevant services and opportunities by the right holders.
- Coordinate with other partners working in the area in support of programme,
- Take lead in advocacy and networking efforts on issues of importance to development in the area.
- Coordinate with other county offices on thematic issues of strategic interest in the area.
- Support and facilitate linkages between the BRICK Programme and other IRK programmes, and with programme teams in other field offices.
- Introduce the program to the relevant stakeholders including local building owners, financial services providers, local government offices concerned with economic growth and services and actors to foster positive cooperation and forge links for the women between market actor’s producers and end user.
- Represent IRK at relevant functions as may be requested by the line Manager.
Marketing Officer Skills and Qualifications:
- At least a bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Business, or a Related Field
- At least 3 years marketing, business or any other relevant field. Previous working with a recognized NGO will be an added advantage.
- Extensive Marketing Experience, Understanding of Business Practices
- Demonstrated ability in community mobilization and community-level dialogue
- Financial Knowledge
- In-Depth Research and Analysis
- IT literate with good understanding in MS Office applications, Word, Excel, Power Point, Spread sheets and other Statistical software Interpersonal Communication
- Client Relationships
- Writing, Public Speaking
- Creativity, Innovation
- Adaptability and Leadership
- Managerial Skills
- Experience in using participatory methodologies in programme implementation
- Commitment to and understanding of Islamic Relief strategy, vision, mission, values and principles
Method of Application
Please send us your cover letter and detailed CV, including your qualifications, experience, names and addresses of three referees, a working e-mail address and daytime telephone contacts. The forwarding e-mail and cover letter must clearly indicate the position title on the subject line. Send your application to Recruitment.email@example.com by Friday 19th June 2020. Please note that this is an urgent recruitment, shortlisting will be done on a rolling basis