The Save the Children Fund, commonly known as Save the Children, is an international non-governmental organization that promotes children’s rights, provides relief and helps support children in developing countries
The Regional Programme Unit was set up to hold regional institutions and mechanisms to account towards fulfilment of the rights of children. This provides leverage so that rights of children be respected by African governments where SCI has a presence. It supports and strengthens the work of Save the Children in our countries of operations. Country offices in turn provide the basis on which to respond and articulate the needs of children.
The Regional Programme Unit:, delivers activities with regional institutions including the Africa Committee of Experts on the Rights and Welfare of the Child (ACERWC), the Inter-Governmental Authority on Development (IGAD), the East African Community (EAC); the Southern African Development Community (SADC); and regional civil society organizations.
The scope of work includes policy and advocacy harmonisation through training workshops, consultation events, learning events, research, supporting regional partners to deliver activities that are aligned with the regional ambition and coordination of the work of country offices for multi-country initiatives on child rights governance.
The purpose of the Programme Officer position is to support day-to-day implementation of programmatic activities. The position contributes to the CRG team’s achievement of its operational objectives (healthy BVA and programmatic results). He/she is responsible for logistical support for convening CRG events and workshops and documenting such processes to inform future engagements with partners.
The CRG Programme Officer will collaborate with the CRG team on new business development and to implement the 2019-2021 strategy for CRG including support to partner implementation. The support will also include financial tracking, logistics and maintaining visibility related updates/social media updates.
Qualifications and experience Essential
- An undergraduate degree in Law, Social Sciences, International Relations or other related field;
- At least 1 years’ experience in implementing governance projects or programs preferably in the child rights space, economic justice and or financing for development;
- Knowledge on regional institutions that address economic justice and governance for instance the AU, African Development Bank, East African Community, UN Economic Commission for Africa.
- General knowledge on child rights in relation to the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child or the African Charter on the Rights and Welfare of the Child;
- Experience in project coordination, implementation as well as monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning (MEAL);
- Proven experience in budget management.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Proven experience in logistical planning of events, workshops and conferences;
- Previous work experience in an NGO environment at regional level , an added benefit;
- Research and analysis skills on economic governance;
- Commitment to Save the Children Values
Contract duration: Maternity cover (6 months)
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive environment where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
Method of Application
Closing Date : 17 July, 2020